In 1953 Sri Krishna Gana Sabha came into being under the stewardship of Sri Maharajapuram Santhanam with his illustrious father, Sri Maharajapuram Vishwanatha Iyer, as Founder-President. At the beginning, it was housed in the open-air theatre of The Hindi Prachar Sabha, T.Nagar and thereafter for sometime at Thakkar Baba Vidyalaya. In the year 1957, the Sabha came to reside in the vacant plot , adjacent to the Nalli Cloth Stores, on Nageswara Rao Road .
In 1956-57, Sri R. Yagnaraman, having been connected with the Sabha from its inception as a Committee Member and Joint Secretary, took over as General Secretary; It was during his Secretaryship in 1961, that the 3–year old thatched “kottagai” arrangement adjacent to Nalli Shop grew to a semi-permanent structure, at Griffith Road (now known as Maharajapuram Santhanam Salai), on a leased 10 ground plot with an accommodation of 900 chairs. Mrs. Prema Hariharan rendered the invocation song at the time of Bhoomi Puja of this renovation.
In 2001, the Sabha was renovated, through the stellar efforts of Sri R Yagnaraman and the munificent contributions of Dr Nalli Kuppuswami Chetty especially, and those of various organizations as well as the general public. The renovation involved retaining the existing structure, dias and building around it to give a classical Chettinad / Tanjore architectural flavor. The auditorium was renamed as “Dr Nalli Gana Vihar” in recognition of Dr Nalli's contributions to the effort. The air-conditioning of the auditorium was undertaken in 2004 completing the renovation in its entirety.